How to check your home for bad wiring

Electricity is something we all take for granted. We turn on a switch and on comes the light or the TV. What happens when it doesn’t work, or something goes wrong?

Each year thousands of people are electrocuted because of faulty electrical items or wiring within the home. It’s not just electrocution you need to worry about. Around 20% of house fires in Australia are caused by faulty wiring somewhere in the home.

We want to keep you safe and the best way we can do that is to help you check your home for bad wiring, which is why we provide complimentary home safety checks with every job.

Here are some signs to look for when you’re checking your home for bad wiring.

  • Flickering lights: do you lights flicker when you turn them on? Does the light dim when you turn them on?
  • Sparks from your power switch: a clear sign that something’s wrong. Don’t ignore it.
  • Buzzing noises from your switches: your power supply should be silent. A hiss or buzz tells you something is wrong.
  • The smell of burning: A bad smell, like burning dust or melting rubber is a bad sign, indicating a fault somewhere. This needs to be handled urgently.
  • Heat around power outlets: all power points and surrounds should be cool to touch.
  • Frayed cords on appliances: Don’t use anything with exposed wiring. Unplug and replace it.
  • Overloaded power outlets: Make sure you aren’t trying to plug in too many appliances. The outlet could overheat and start a fire.
  • Clutter on power outlets: Power boards and switches need to be kept clear. Piling clothes or other things on top of them or nearby can cause them to overheat.
  • Extension leads overused: An extension lead isn’t designed to be used daily. Invest in more power outlets to reduce your reliance on extension cords.
  • Don’t buy used electrical equipment: That electric sandwich maker might be cheap at the op shop, but you don’t know how it has been treated. Buying used electrical equipment is dangerous. They need to be properly tested by a professional before use.
  • Downlights: Is there enough space around your downlights? Insulation or other materials close to them can cause them to heat up and start a fire.
  • Blown fuses or triggered safety switches: These are designed to protect you in case of overloading but if your safety switch is triggered often, you need a professional to track down the cause.

A regular check of these few warning signs will help keep you and your family safe. Electrical faults should always be taken seriously. Don’t ignore them because it could be a matter of life and death.

For extra confidence and safety, contact us and one of our licensed team of electricians will check your wiring for you.

Breathe easy today with a service and clean

Start typing and press Enter to search